Friday, September 24, 2010

"Ta Da! It's My Birthday Party!" - Ethan

At least that's what Ethan said to Grace as she walked into the garage after school to see "his party" preparations.  He was so excited to show off his party to her!  His excitement was worth more than anything to me.  The weather turned out to be much nicer than predicted, but in the end having the party in the garage worked out great.  I don't think I ever could have been ready had I needed to set up on the party day on our patio.  And, as my friend Rebecca said as we were both planning our children's parties for the same day and commiserating about the weather, at least my theme fit a garage setting.  (Not so much for her Alice in Wonderland theme.)

Not to sound too much like an acceptance speech at the Academy Awards, but I really do want to thank everyone who helped me plan this party, my husband for putting up with me and only occasionally getting mad at me when he attempted to calculate in his head the money I was spending, all the inspiration I've gathered from the various different parties on everyone's talented blogs, Betsy Pruitt from Belly Feathers who has been so kind and helpful as I've adventured into party planning blog land and the same to Michelle Burt of Maddycakes Muse.  Also, a big thanks to Jessie Warner who graciously agreed to come take pictures of my lil' ol' party and making me look so good!

Thank you for looking and reading my blog.  I'm so grateful and honored!  This post is a picture overload!  I'll try to include all the sources of the various items, but if I don't feel free to email me. 

The Invite



The Candy Table
Candy Labels - Posh Pixels
Checkered Flag Banner and Table Skirt - Race Party Decorations
 

 






More Yummy Treats



Cone Holders (re-purposed Drink Caddies) - Pottery Barn
Cupcake Stand - Pottery Barn


Race Car cupcake toppers (not the McQueen or Mater) - Meri Meri

Fillmore Organic Fuel Labels - Belleza e Luce

Rust Eze Medicated Bumper Ointment Labels - Belleza e Luce



Sally's Cozy Cone Cups - Birthday Express



 My own attempt at making a McQueen cake for Ethan!

Happy Birthday Banner - ScrapEm Easy on Etsy
Cars banner in backdrop - Meri Meri
  
Turning a Frog into a Prince (a.k.a. A Garage into a Birthday Bash!)
Ethan was my little helper the day before the party.  He was so fun!  Ever since my neighbor Tina mentioned the "lollipops" after seeing the picture on the blog, he has been asking for a "pop!"  I've held out on him but on Friday he was so good and so sweet, I couldn't resist any longer.  Note to you moms out there worried about stains -  the black and white lollipops make a mess, but it comes out of clothes like a charm!


(For pictures of other signs used at the party, see my previous post here.)








Cupcake flower centerpiece - inspired by How Does She?




Racing Party Favors



Bubbles - Gwynn Wasson Designs (not currently on her Etsy shop, but email her and she is great to work with!)

Racing Trophies - Oriental Trading
Custom Labels - Belleza e Luce

Crayon Rolls - Tamis Cozies, Etsy
Crayon Roll Thank You Tags - ScrapEm Easy on Etsy


Checkered Flag Favor Bags - Oriental Trading


Fun and Games!


These race car boxes are supposed to resemble Lightning McQueen and The King.  Who knew a cardboard box could be so much fun.  The kid had a blast with these boxes for the entire party - racing their aunts and even grandmas.  By the end of the party they had been so used and abused, I had to recycle them.







I stole the idea of the tire toss game from Betsy at Belly Feathers.  Again, who knew an old, free racing tire and some bean bags would provide so much entertainment.  The kids had a blast with this game!







This was my homemade "Pin the Tire on McQueen" game. 





The Birthday Boy (and his sister too) (and his mom and dad!)


Ethan's custom Cars shirt - eBay (no longer can find it on there).














Again, thank you all for looking.  It makes me exhausted thinking about this party again - but Ethan's reaction and sincere look on his face and enthusiasm throughout the party made it all worth it!

47 comments:

  1. WA-WOW! Your details are amazing. This party is incredible.Candy table is phenomenal. I can see how much time and talent went into this. Can't wait to see what you do next:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is INCREDIBLE! I LOVE everything and I am so impressed! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute, Melissa, as ALWAYS!!! No detail was overlooked, and you E cake turned out really cute. Thank you for the kind words and link, too. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful party Melissa! Excellent eye for detail.

    ReplyDelete
  5. FABULOUS!!! You did such an amazing job with a disney theme, I am in awe! I especially LOVE that cupcake stand... and the HUGE SMILE of one happy birthday boy! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such an AMAZING party! Every detail is perfect!!! Visiting from Maddycakes! So glad I found you! Jenn from ThisMommyLoves.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lucky to have such an amazing birthday party. I would love for you to link it up to my party: http://phubie.blogspot.com/2010/10/get-link-party-started.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Melissa! Such a wonderful party!! I love all the details!! My son will be turning 3 in late September 2011 and I will try my hand at a Cars party. I was wondering where did you get the "giant" cupcake toppers (Mc Queen, Mater & Doc)since you provided the list for everything else.
    Thanks in advance for the tip and thanks for sharing the pictures. Loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your kind words Cris. The toppers on the cake were my son's actual cars! Yup, the real ones from the toy store! I couldn't find big enough ones so I washed them really well and used them for the cake. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Melissa, I featured your Cars party on my blog today: http://www.purejoyeventsblog.com/2011/02/link-party-showcase-race-cars-and.html. Sorry it took so long!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow Ethan is one lucky boy! Congrats the party looked awesome and I am sure Ethan and all his little friends just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is AMAZING!! I LOVE everything you did!! I will be featuring your party as MY INSPIRATION! Kudos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am breathless. I absolutely love this party. My son will be 3 in August and I guess I have my work cut out if it's to look anything close to this. Thanks for sharing and inspiring me to start working.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you everyone for your very kind comments! What a fun theme to do this year with the new movie coming out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is absolutely wonderful. I am doing a Cars themed party for my son in July, and your ideas are truly inspirational. I just have one question for you, I would love to purchase those black and white checkered cones, that you used for popcorn, but I can't find them anywhere. Where did you get them at? Thank you for help, again truly AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tanya - I made the cones using scrapbook paper. Here is a tutorial from Maddycakes Muse on how to make the paper cones: http://maddycakesmuse.blogspot.com/2009/09/paper-cones.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all you've done!! I was wondering where did you get the grapes crate and the checkered ribbon?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Xiomara - the grape crates is actually my grandfather's old canning crate. It's probably at least 60 years old. I absolutely love them and they are dear to me. The checkered ribbon is from Hobby Lobby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMGosh love your party pics. I am doing a cars party on the 9th and love all your ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow amazing question tho how did u do the cars centerpiece the one with the pail..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you everyone for your kind commetns again! The centerpieces with the galvanized pails are circles I cut out of scrapbook paper and then took the medallion like things from a Hallmark hanging decoration, cut off the hanging part and put them on the circles. I attached a wooden stick to the back and tied a ribbon on them. Very easy! I'm not sure if you can find the medallions any more - they were a few years ago, but I know they were from Hallmark.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello from Cape Town, South Africa. Your ideas are awesome and thanks for sharing them with us. I love the traffic-cone drinking 'bottles'. I wish we could get them here. And the simple cardboard box races - that's something I'm going to try out. You've really set the bar high for the rest of the parents out there :)
    G

    ReplyDelete
  23. YOUR PARTY WAS AMAZING YOU WERE VERY DETAILED ON EVERYTHING GOOD JOB MOMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Where did you purchase the labels for the drinks? I am having Cars themed party for my son in March and would LOVE those!

    ReplyDelete
  25. what a great job you did for Ethan!! i have a little guys turning 3 next month and he loves cars too. was wondering where you had invites made?

    thanks
    christina

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you Amy and Christina! I found the labels for the drinks from Belleza e Luce. I've heard she's not selling them any more. You can check out her blog. Christina, I made the invites :) I used my digital Scrapbook software to make them. I bought the Cars package quite a while ago - before Cars 2. They still have a Cars package, but it is not the same one I used.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fantastic party, girl! My son will be turning 4 in March and has requested a Cars birthday party! Now that I have seen your party ideas, my party planning will be so much easier! Thanks for all the awesome ideas! :)
    www.knuckleheadthirty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Absolutely awesome! Yours is the classiest Cars party I have seen by far(and I have been through MANY party sites...)
    My son's Cars-birthday is approaching and I have 2 questions: 1.- where did you get the big round signs with Mater and McQueen you have on the candy table? I can't find anything like them and they look great! And 2.- where did you get the hanging pompoms? (I can only find solids...)
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The round signs I made using a hanging decor from Hallmark. The poms are from Pom love on Etsy. Good luck!!

      Delete
  29. LOVE, LOVE. LOVE it all! One question...where did you get your shirt? I'm been busy trying to find one for myself to wear to my sons party next month! www.kerripowell.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kerri -
      Thank you! I found it online as a costume.

      Delete
  30. Also, where did you get the small Mater and Queen cars for the tops of the cupcakes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found those at my local cake decorating store.

      Delete
  31. this looks like such a great party.. I am going to "barrow" a ton of your ideas.. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Amazing, Melissa! Thanks so much for sharing!!! I am in awe at the amount of work that you put into this and the level of detail! :-)

    I am planning a Cars party for my triplet boys (one of whom is also an Ethan, btw.) They are obsessed with all things Cars. I am wondering where you found the galvanized/metal serving trays and dishes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The 3 tier stand is from Pottery Barn. The 3 buckt stand is from Hobby Lobby.

      Delete
  33. Melissa,

    Love, love, love the birthday party! You did an outstanding job! Fantastic ideas! Just one question though...was that a real gas can for the Kool-aid? I would have never thought of that and that it would be okay to use(a new one of course). Mom of the year for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind comments! Yes, that's a real gas can - never used. I washed it really well first!

      Delete
  34. I just love your party decor. My sons is turning 3 this weekend and I am also planning a cars theme party for him. My ideas are a little similar to yours, the colors at least. I was wondering where you got the rust-eze bottle labels? Ive been looking for those but no luck yet.

    ReplyDelete
  35. This really wonderful share. I just enjoyed watching your pictures it is amazing and fun undoubtedly thanks dear for sharing this post.

    _____________
    Party Princess Character

    ReplyDelete
  36. Replies
    1. I purchased new, never used cans. I washed them in very hot soapy water as well. They are safe to use that way.

      Delete
  37. Where did you get your race shirt from? Also I was wondering if you could email the rust-eze labels. I have been looking for them, but no luck yet. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them on a Halloween costume online store. I purchased the labels. I don't remember from where though.
      Good luck!

      Delete
  38. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The attention to detail in this Birthday decoration at home is impeccable. The carefully arranged flowers, elegant table centerpieces, and charming banners all contribute to a truly luxurious and stylish celebration. Happy birthday to someone who deserves the very best

    ReplyDelete